Located in the heart of Abruzzo, close to the Majella National Park Sulmona is worldwide known due to its centuries-old tradition in producing confetti and because it gave birth to the poet of Latin literature Publius Ovidius Naso, better known as Ovid .

Tempo di lettura 18 minuti

The first historical information is given us by Titus Livius, who tells how the town, even if the battle of lake Trasimeno and that of Canna had been lost, stayed faithful to Rome and closed the city gates against Hannibal.

During our staying in Sulmona, we came across many tales and the first one is about its origins.

The story goes that Solimo , far from Troy together with his friends Aeneas, reached the coast of Latium after a long and exhausting journey.

Left Aeneas, Solimo ventured into the inland until he reached a territory rich in water and wildfowl. As he fell in love with that place, he decided to found a town there which he named after himself: Solimona (Solimo Σωλυμος in ancient Greek), Sulmona.

in giro in giro Un weekend a Sulmona - Comune

Worth a visit

Sulmona has been a lovely surprise. The urban renewal of the historic centre in 2018 brought the town back to its former splendour, making it a wonder to visit at least once in a lifetime.


The Medieval acqueduct in Piazza Garibaldi

The acqueduct, with its considerable size (about 100x50m) is one of the largest waterways in central and southern Italy .

The acqueduct, with its considerable size (about 100x50m) is one of the largest waterways in central and southern Italy. It was built in 1256 under the King Manfredi di Svevia. It represents the economic, demographic and cultural prosperity that Sulmona had reached with the support of Federico II, who had acknowledged the crucial role of the town.

The Del Vecchio fountain

It collected the water at the southern entrance to the city, very close to the ancient civic walls. The fountain already existed before 1474, when the Captain of the People Polidoro Tiberti da Cesena had it rebuilt according to the Renaissance style.

The lower part has been modified, but the upper one remained intact.

The Church of San Francesco della Scarpa

The church of San Francesco della Scarpa dates back to 1241. In 1290 it was widened by the wish of Carlo II d’Angiò, thus becoming the most important Franciscan Medieval church in Abruzzo.

The modern church doesn’t look like the one existing in the Angevin age, as it largely collapsed due to several earthquakes, but it reminds more of its eighteenth-century renovation. What is remaining today is part of the polygonal perimeter of the apse and the impressive side entrance on Corso Ovidio.

The fountain in Piazza Garibaldi

In the mid-17th century, it was planned to build a large fountain in the middle of the square, so that merchants could freshen up on market days . Foor unknown reasons the project never started.

It was finally built in 1823, with the so-called ‘staffo’ stone . It was placed in Piazza Garibaldi and used for displaying and selling fish, as well as a stone of shame : those who couldn’t or didn’t want to clear their debts had to show their naked backside publicly.

in giro in giro Un weekend a Sulmona - fontana piazza Garibaldi

The Church and Convent of Santa Chiara

The establishment of the Convent of Santa Chiara dates back to the years between 1260 and 1269 and it’s one of the oldest Poor Clare monastic settlements in the Kingdom on Naples.

Like the majority of the Franciscan convents, it stood outside the ancient urban centre, in a place where it could be self-sufficient thanks to vast lands designated as vegetable gardens.

Due to the isolation of monastic life the nuns devoted time to artisan activites such as the production of sugared almonds, since the 5th century, which then made Sulmona worlwide known over the centuries.

When you’ll be walking beneath the first arch , before entering the gate on your left, have a look at the wooden foundling wheel on the left of the gate; it’s a system made up of a wooden cylinder outside the building, where babies were left; once it turned around, the abandoned baby could be taken by the nuns inside the building.

The building can be visited paying an entrance fee. Inside you’ll find the Civic Cultural Pole of Santa Chiara – the Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art consisting of:

  • A private chapel for cloistered nuns who could take part in the liturgical celebrations through grills;
  • A smaller room;
  • The former refectory. LThe well preserved artworks date back from the 12th to the 19th century. You’ll find panel and canvas paintings, stone artefacts, wooden sculptures, gold artworks, codices and textile products;;
  • In another room there is a beautiful artistic nativity scene on permanent exhibition.

The Sant’Agata or Santa Margherita Fountain

Is made of stone and its back wall is divided in 4 sections by 3 mascarons , ornaments. On its left and right sides there are respectively the coat of arms of the Lannoy family and that of the city.

The insignia of the Lannoys is an ancient gothic shield with three crowned lions surrounded by the symbol of the Golden Fleece, a major honour conferred by the emperor Carlo V on Carlo di Lannoy and later on his son Filippo and his nephews Carlo II and Orazio.

The Palazzo San Francesco seat of the Town Hall

The building was originally a convent and was connected to the curch of the same name. When the convent was shut down, the building underwent many renovations which totally changed it.

The facade is covered in stones carved to represent diamonds, while the interior is distinguished by two courtyards, one of them with a larg arcade.

Palazzo San Francesco houses today the municipal offices of Sulmona and can be visited for free.

The complex of Santissima Annunziata

This is the most representative and famous monument in the town of Sulmona, as it represents a centuries-old history and artistic representations. The church and the hospital were established in 1320 thanks to the secular confraternity of Penitents. With help from the mighty and the citizenry, it became one of the most important hospitals in the Kingdom of Naples. It has been built on pre-existing holy sites, such as a modest parish dedicated to the Virgin Mary .

The complex can be accessed by paying an entrance ticket that will also allow you to visit The Abruzzese-Molise Transhumance and Costume Museum, The Archaelogical Wing, The Medieval and Modern Section and Domus Ariadne .

The Abruzzese-Molise Transhumance and Costume Museum. It houses several prints reproductions of both male and female traditional Abruzzese costumes , original drawings used to decorate the porcelain, engravings, lithographies, aquatints and watercolour paintigns. Most of the costumes have been reproduced thanks to the contribution of the Lions Club. Objects associated with the pastoral and especially transhumant lifestyle : canes, umbrellas and rifles, bells and cowbells, tools for branding animals or to immobilise them for milking,gunpowder or rennet horns, lamps and oil bottles, religious items, books and wooden artefacts produced by the shepherds themselves as something needed or as a hobby;

The Archaelogical Wing: the archaelogical itinerary begins on the ground floor, where there’s a hall dedicated to the pre-Roman history. Many prehistoric, protohistoric and Italic archaeological finds are displayed there. The items date back to a period between 500.000 and 2.000 years ago and they represent the local past. The itinerary takes you then to the display of archaeological evidence from the Paleolithic, Neolithic and the Copper, Bronze and Iron Age;

The Medieval and Modern Section: the collection is displayed in five halls on the first floor. There is the so-called “Knights hall”, dedicated to the armour of the Giostra Cavalleresca (a Medieval-style jousting tournament), where stone finds from the 12th to the 16th century are shown the hall named after “Giovanni da Sulmona” which houses an important collection of panel paintings and sculptures and the Frescoes hall, with jewellery showcases and several frescoes recovered in different curches and buildings. You’ll then reach the “Cadastre” hall, where you’ll see manuscripts, pieces of furniture from the 17th and 18th century and portraits of Celestino abbots. The tour ends in the “Celestino” hall, where, together with two 16th-century paintings, a major collection of canvas from the abbey are displayed;

The Domus Ariadne. On the lower level, at a depth of about 1.80m, there were all the rooms that made up the rich dwelling. Most of them had mosaic floors with white tiles and a black perimeter. The five rooms surrounded a small courtyard where there probably used to be a rainwater tank. Most of the Roman walls have been destroyed, even if some can still be admired. The paintings with depictions of myths and symbols that decorated the domus have been partially recreated on some wall panels. You’ll also see a megalography that portrays the sacred union of Dionysus and Ariadne and the fight between Eros and Pan. The showcases along the way exhibit finds and other artifacts: majolica fragments, coins, decorative and everyday objects.

in giro in giro Un weekend a Sulmona - Museo del Costume Popolare Abruzzese e Molisano e della Transumanza domus di Arianna

The Liberty house in Viale Roosevelt

It’s an elegant 1920s buildings: the grey stone of the base contrasts with the light plaster and then with the section of the facade painted in ochre.

By the noble floor there is a fine decoration with plant motif and geometric patterns that stands out with its delicate shades against the terracotta-colour background . You’ll be charmed by the elaborate wrought iron railings on the balconies, transoms and on the ground floor windows.

The Monument to the Fallen in Tresca square

The monument has been built cto commemorate all the soldiers from Sulmona who died in the First World War. A bronze relief on the main side depicts a man lying next to the goddess Victoria and surrounded by bronze laurel wreaths.

The city park

The public gardens, known as Villa Comunale, are a 800-metre wide green space with a tree-lined avenue and several flowerbeds with gravel walkways. Inside there are two large round, stone fish pools with a tuff column in the middle, from where water gushes and pours in the underlying tank.

in giro in giro Un weekend a Sulmona - parco comunale

The Cathedral of San Panfilo

The cathedral, the most ancient temple in Sulmona, has been named after the bishop San Panfilo, patron saint of the town. According to tradition, it was built in the 8th century on the ruins of a pre-existing pagan temple consecrated to Apollo and Vesta.

Another legend tells a different story, though.

This popular legend has it that Panfilo, when he was young, converted to Christianity and was disowned by his father, who was pagan.

His son’s choice made the father come up with a cruel plan, pushed by his aggressive madness: he forced Panfilo to get in an ox-wagon and go down from Pacile (close to Sulmona) to the Gizio river valley, even if he knew the mountain was impassable and the young man could hardly be saved. .

Panfilo got on the ox-wagon and left when, all of a sudden, some angels appeared on his way to help him, transforming the oxen hooves and the wheels of the wagon. Instead of slipping and falling, the hooves and the wheels sank in the soil, bringing him downhill very slowly. So did the young man end his suffering, arriving safe and sound among the astonished countrymen.

He was later appointed to be in charge of the diocese. The marks and traces of the hooves and the wheels can still be seen and it’s thought they are there to prove the miracle. San Panfilo lived between the 600 and 700 AD and died in Corfinio.

Four clerics found his dead body and while they were bringing it back to Sulmona, it became as heavy as a stone and they had to stop, tired and thirsty. That was the place where the saint had chosen to be buried.

A fountain suddenly appeared and, hailed as a miracle, the cathedral today known as the cathedral of San Panfilo was built.

An earthquake in 1706 severely damaged the cathedral: the sacristies collapsed and both the 14th-century bell tower and the episcopal palace next to it suffered extensive damage and they have never been rebuilt.

Some ancient elements survived and stand still today: the planimetric map and the Romanesque colonnade, the crypt and part of the external stone cladding of the majestic semi-circular apses and the small gate on the left side of the building, which dates back to the 13th century.

The Church of San Filippo Neri

The most distinguishing characteristic of the church is the facade, which was previously part of the Gothic Church of Sant’Agostino built in 1315. Between 1883 and 1885 authorities decided to preserve the front of the church before its total collapse.

The disassembling and reassembling procedures led to the building of another high base with steps, while the church gate was accurately reconstructed and it’s still today one of the finest models of Gothic art in Abruzzo. A bas-relief in the centre of the architrave depicts a crucifer lamb and on the sides there are four emblems difficult to interpret because of their deterioration.

The Church of Madonna del Carmine

The church of Madonna del Carmine was built in 1225 at the request of Gentile di Gualtiero di Benedetto Pagano in an area outside the town, beyond Porta Salvatoris. Initially named after Sant’Agata,, the church was then given by Pagano to the Chapter of St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome and later to the Chapter of the Cathedral in Sulmona on annual rent.

It became a parish church and from the 13th century onwards the village of the new town of Sulmona, surrounded later by city walls, flourished around it.

Of the 24 churches in Sulmona, this is is the last one we managed to visit!

The statue of Ovid in Piazza XX Settembre

The monument to Ovid is very important from a symbolic point of view as it represents the local culture, apart from being a tribute to the poet. There is a plate at the base of the statue, where the verses of the Tristia can still be read:

“I who lie here, sweet Nasone, poet of tender passions, fell victim to my own sharp wit. Passer-by, if you’ve ever been in love, don’t grudge me the traditional prayer: ‘May Nasone’s bones lie soft.”.

So we also have a tale to tell about Ovidius Nasone, better known as Ovid.

Legend has it that the poet was madly in love with a beautiful girl whose heart was as cold as ice and as hard as a diamond.

As he couldn’t win over her, he just went on wishing one day the long-awaited love at first sight would come. During the never ending wait Ovid left the paternal house and took refuge in the wood of Angizia where, studying day and night, he learnt the magic arts, hoping that one day he could seduce the young girl. He made use of his magic spells to offer her valuable gifts, at the expense of the honest people from the valley.

He accumulated considerable wealth scaring and mistreating the local population. One day the king, indignant and angered, exiled him to a faraway country where loneliness and poverty made him set back on the right path.

The Statue of San Celestine

The bronze, life-sized statue stands in a small square between corso Ovidio, Via della Pace and Vico Spezzato (Borgo di S. Maria della Tomba). The sculpture was strongly wanted by the community, honoured to have had such an eminent child: a saint of great moral, spiritual and human integrity.

The Porta Napoli

There are eight gates to visit in Sulmona: Porta Bonomini, Porta di Santa Maria della Tomba, Porta Filiamabili, Porta Japasseri, Porta Molina, Porta Napoli, Porta Pacentrana, Porta Romana, Porta Saccoccia, Porta Sant’Antonio Abate and also the city ring of walls.

We only managed to see Porta Napoli, for lack of time!

Porta Napoli used to be the southern gateway to the Medieval town and it was part of the second ring of walls. It was built between the end of the 13th and the beginning of the 14th century to meet the new need for security of the residential area derived from the exponential demographic growth Sulmona had exprencied during the Swabian dominion (13th century).

Called in the past “Porta Nova”, maybe because it had been erected on the route of the ancient “Via Nova”, it defended the southern entrance to the town, as it was on the road axis to Naples, capital of the Kingdom.

in giro in giro Un weekend a Sulmona - porta Napoli

The Pelino Museum of Confectionery Art and Technology

Founded in 1988 and declared a national monument by the Ministry for Cultural and Environmental Heritage and Activites in 1992, the museum is split into two floors of the beautiful liberty building that houses the confetti factory Mario Pelino, one of the most ancient and prestigious ones in Sulmona. It shows and summarises the history of confectionery production through the rare relics displayed in the three exhibition rooms: tools for administration, outdated equipment, gear and devices, a vast collection of bonbonnierès, mentions, certificates and awards.

It is an overall tribute to the maestri confettieri, the confectioners who make sugared almonds. From late Middle Ages onwards they started off the artisan production that made Sulmona world famous. The reconstruction of an 18th-century studio with vintage tools is really evocative.

There is a shop inside the factory, where prices are lower than in local shops and the quality is outstanding, just to let you know this is the place where you should buy sugared almonds!

The Celestine Abbey of the Holy Spirit at Morrone

The abbey was built around the mid-13th century by the future Pope Celestine V at the foot of the mountain Monte Morrone. It originally consisted of the enlargement of a pre-existing chapel dedicated to Santa Maria del Morrone and then, around 1268, a new church dedicated to the Holy Spirit and the convent next to it were built.

In 1293 it became the residence of the General Abbot of the Celestine Order, founded by the friar Pietro himself; in the following year, when he became the pope, the monastery acquired many privileges and properties, bearing considerable relevance.

in giro in giro Un weekend a Sulmona - Abbazia Celestiniana di Santo Spirito a Morrone
in giro in giro Un weekend a Sulmona - Abbazia Celestiniana di Santo Spirito a Morrone esterno

The complex was renovated and enlarged in the 16th century, then a bell tower was built in 1596. An earthquake almost destroyed it in 1706 and later on considerable and extensive changes were made. They lasted almost thirty years, as shown by the date on the church clock.

When the Congregation of the Celestines was dissolved, at the beginning of the 19th century, the monastery was managed by the Royal college of the three Abruzzi and it then became a hospice. After that, it was taken on by the Royal House of the Mendicants of the three Abruzzi, until 1868, when it started being used as a penal institute.

Since 1998 the abbey has been assigned to the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities and it’s the seat of the regional superintendences responsible for the historic, artistic and ethno-anthropological assets of Abruzzo and of the Majella National Park Authority.

The Shrine of Hercules Curinus

This shrine is located between the Abbey of the Holy Spirit in Morrone and the Hermitage of Sant’Onofrio. The admission is free.

in giro in giro Un weekend a Sulmona - Santuario di Ercole Curino

Even if the excavation begun in 1957 initially suggested that the villa of Ovidio, who came from ancient Sulmona, was to be found there, the Italian shrine of Hercules Curinus was revealed instead, as the type of material used and the inscriptions show. The shrine is on two terraces:

  • On the lower one there are fourteen rooms, probably utility rooms. All the rooms show traces of barrel vaults, apart from the two ones at the ends, which were used as stairwells to the upper terrace, where there was a marble colonnade with three different arms and a wide stairway to the sacellum. On one of the twenty-one steps a phallic symbol has been carved in relief, for the purpose of warding off hex and evil influences;
  • The upper terrace houses the Sacellum, which dates back to a time frame between the second and first century BC and where there is also a marble donarium for contributions. The walls inside the small temple, which is perfectly preserved thanks to a landslide that entirely covered it, are decorated with many-coloured plaster panels, while on the floor a mosaic with a twine of vine branches, dolphins, towers and waves can be admired. A bolt of lightning, symbol of Jupiter, is drawn on the threshold.
in giro in giro Un weekend a Sulmona - Santuario di Ercole Curino vista dal giardino adiacente

The Hermitage of Sant’Onofrio

Founded in 1293 by the friar Pietro Angelerio, who’ll become Pope Celestine V, and dedicated to the hermit Sant’Onofrio, the hermitage is 600 m above sea level. It has been built on a steep side but it’s easily reachable thanks to a path that will take you about an hour, keeping a relaxed pace.

We promise that in this tour you’ll have the chance to admire a breathtaking landscape!

Back after the time spent alone in the Orfento in 1293, the Saint stayed over a year in this harsh and isolated place until right here, in August 1294, the five legates of the conclave, the king Charles II of Anjou and his son Carlo Martello reached him to announce him his election as pontiff. When the religious order was dissolved in 1807, the hermitage was abandoned, even if later it was still sporadically inhabited by some hermits who took care of the place.

The complex suffered extensive damage in 1943 during the Second World War and it was later renovated. Although the restoration kept the layout of the building unchanged, it significantly altered its overall look.

Here you’ll find the church, the oratory, the cells and the cave:

  • The church. In spite of renovations, the hermitage has kept all its charm as a harsh and inaccessible place. A short covered walkway leads into a small square from where you’ll enter the church. Some 15th-century frescoes depicting Christ the King and The Baptist and, just below, more recent devotional paintings are still there, on the walls of the church. The wooden ceiling from the 15th century is remarkable too;
  • The oratory. In correspondence with the back wall of the church and in front of the entrance, there is a small chapel or oratory covered in frescoes : on the back wall there is a representation of the Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John the Evangelist on the sides; in the lunette above there is a painting of the Virgin and Child on a light blue background; the lunette at the entrance depicts Saint Benedict between the hermits Mauro and Antonio . The ceiling has been covered with a blue barrel vault decorated with eight-pointed stars. On the left wall there is another fresco (14th century) which portrays Celestine while wearing a monastic habit, a white cape and the papal tiara and holding the palm of martyrdom. At the centre of the painting there is an ancient, stone small altar where a rough crucifix has been engraved. According to tradition, it might have been sanctified by Celestine V himself during the Mass he celebrated here in pontifical clothes before going to Naples;
  • The cells. To the right of the oratory there is a corridor with the cells of Fra’ Pietro and Roberto da Salle, which constitute the original housing complex of the hermitage. At the end of the hallway you’ll find a recess decorated with a fresco of the Crucifixion and, on the sides, two couples of saints including Saint Peter Celestine portrayed in pontifical vestments and with the Papal tiara. Going up the stairs on the left you’ll reach the upper floor, where there are more utility rooms and a panoramic terrace. During pilgrimages or on holy days, believersusually throw stones from up there, to symbolise the defeat of temptations;
  • The cave. In the area just below the hermitage, there is the mouth of a small stone cave, where the Saint used to withdraw in order to pray and where still today believers perform the ritual of rubbing, or get wet from the dripping water to heal.

Where to spend the night

We opted for Annunziata B&B, in via Paolina 17 and we spent the Valentine’s Day weekend in this B&B in Sulmona. We were there with some friends and our rooms were facing each other,so we had a great time. The owner is friendly and helpful, he gave us many pieces of advice about activities, what to see, where to eat. The apartment is very nice and clean, with a small kitchen area, hot water and heating/air conditioning.

It’s located in the heart of the historic centre; at the end of the alley you are in front of the Complex of Santissima Annunziata. Highly recommended.

Contacts: Bed and Breakfast L’Annunziata

Via Paolina 17, 67039 Sulmona (AQ). Telefono (+39)338 9494940. Email info@bandbsulmona.com, website http://www.bandbsulmona.com/

in giro in giro Un weekend a Sulmona - Bed & Breakfast L’Annunziata

Where to eat

Eating in Sulmona means savouring the traditional Peligna Valley cooking, which is based on dishes with a very long tradition that highlights the authentic flavours of local products.

All the restaurants mainly offer dishes prepared with high-quality raw materials from farms in the surrounding area. We ate really well at:

  • Trattoria Don Ciccio Sulmona in Corso Ovidio, 79/81 Tel (+39) 0864 660973
  • Ristorante Buonvento in Piazza Plebiscito, 21/22 Tel (+39) 0864 950010
  • Camilla’s bistrot in Piazza Giuseppe Garibaldi, 14 Tel (+39) 392 360 7384.

What to buy

You should definitely buy confetti!

Loose or creatively packaged sugared almonds are used to create real sculptures of classic flowers, wild flowers, fruit, fantasy characters, bouquets and arrangements for any type of party or anniversary.

The Majella herbal tea and the Ovid Herbal Tea

Not as famous as the sugared almonds, the Majella herbal tea reminds the aroma and colours of the Abruzzo mountains; it’s a blend of mallow, fennel, green anise and elderberry, discovered and created to deal in a totally natural way with some health issues, from bloating or poor digestion to light but annoying gastrointestinal disorders. This infusion is prepared with genuine ingredients from the farmlands and, specifically, from the paths that lead to the Majella. This is not by chance, as explained by its name.

in giro in giro Un weekend a Sulmona - tisana della Majella

Ovid Herbal Tea, which is actually a love potion. Created and patented expressly for Bimillennial Celebrations in 2017, Ovid Herbal Tea is a blend of tonic, aphrodisiac, energising and spicy herbs: rosemary, basil, chili pepper and poppy seeds. The last one gives the infusion a red shade, making it look like a good glass of hot wine.

in giro in giro Un weekend a Sulmona - tisana di Ovidio

The two herbal teas are the result of the imagination and creativity of the herbalist Margherita Ruscitti, owner of the historic herbalist shop “Margherita“, located in the town centre.

In Corso Ovidio you’ll come across many little shops where the shopkeepers create true artworks. The most common ones are the producing of copper, wood, pottery, wool and stone.

Not-to-miss events

The ancient and only one Good Friday procession

The first procession starts in the afternoon, when the simulacrum of the Dead Christ, which belongs to the Confraternity of S. Maria di Loreto, and that of the Black Running Madonna parade. The parade is opened by the local marching band, which performs a renowned funeral march by Vella. It is commonly known as “small procession”, to tell it apart from the other one taking place in the evening, which is the second of the two events.

At the head of the procession there is “Il Tronco”, a large wooden cross decorated with a red velvet cloth, carried in his arms by one of the confreres. He is followed by the other confreres who pass by holding the typical silver “lanterns” from the 18th-century era. Children take part too equipped with a cross, spear, hammer, nails and pincers, as they represent the future of the Archconfraternity.

About 120 singers play their role singing the “Miserere“ by Barcone and Scotti. The statue of the Dead Christ, together with the thirty-three red carnations donated by the confreres, lies on a silver catafalque decorated with elegant fabrics and voils.

The procession is closed by the statue of Our Lady of Sorrows, all dressed in black. Once the procession has reached the church of Santa Maria della Tomba, lights fall from the bell tower like a waterfall. According to Christianity, they represent Christ who frees the believers from their sins.

Interesting facts

Confetti from Sulmona have been chosen by the British Royals Charles and Diana, Harry and Meghan and by Qatar Royals Aisha and Fahad.

Rumour has it that during his staying in Rome Leonardo da Vinci might have visited Abruzzo and used the paper produced with the well-known fulling mill in Celano to draw some of his sketches and maybe for one of his codici, the apograph manuscript Codice Lauri.

In 2018 Sulmona ranked first among the most beautiful winter towns in Italy.

Our advice

Don’t miss the so-called Trans-Siberian railway of Italy . A journey on a historic train along ancient tracks that cross the Abruzzo and Molise Apennines, among snowy landscapes and breathtaking panoramas. An incredible route that starts from Sulmona and takes you through natural landscapes and little mountain villages. You’ll travel in a vintage convoy with “centoporte” and “terrazzni” carriages built between 1920 and 1930, droven by the diesel locomotive D445.1145. If you want to get on this historic train, you definitely need to book your seat well in advance! We tried to buy the tickets a month ahead and they were already sold out. The site to buy them is https://www.latransiberianaditalia.com/

We spent three dyas in Sulmona but this wonderful town in Abruzzo has so much to offer that it’s surely worth at least a one-week long visit.

In the end, if you still have time, andate a visitare Celano and Popoli !

in giro in giro Un weekend a Sulmona - mappa
Sulmona – Celano – Popoli
Ciao da Cris e Marco del blog in giro in giro

Leave a Comment